1. Sincerity; deep commitment to the Lord
a. We have made the point that mountain moving faith is not the same thing as commitment to the Lord (faith in Jesus as Savior and Lord).
b. The disciples were totally committed to the Lord, but were often rebuked by Jesus for their lack of faith. Mark 10:28; Matt 17:20
c. The centurion, who was commended for his great faith was not even a follower of Jesus. Matt 8:10
2. Head faith instead of heart faith.
3. Hope — I believe the Lord is going to do it some day.
a. That is future; there must be a past tense element to your faith.
b. When Jesus taught about mountain moving faith, He said in Mark 11:24 we must believe we receive at the time we pray.
1. We accept the fact that God has spoken (past tense).
2. Because we have His Word, it is as good as gone; we will see results.
3. Past tense = God has spoken
4. Future results = I will see / feel
c. Faith receives; faith takes; faith possesses.
d. If someone said: I know the Lord is going to save me someday, you’d immediately correct his thinking, speaking, and believing.
4. A general faith in the power of God
a. Probably everyone who believes in God believes in the power of God, but that is not mountain moving faith.
1. God is a healer; I know God heals; I believe God can and does heal.
2. None of that is mountain moving faith,
b. A general believing in God’s power and promises must be personalized before it will move any mountains.
1. God has power to help me now; God is helping me now.
2. God has spoken about me, and it is as good as done.
c. Martha’s response to Lazarus’ death is a good example. John 11
1. She is a follower of Jesus (v27), yet in the crisis, her response was to blame God. v21
2. She makes the expected religious remarks when Jesus comes. v22,24
3. But what does she really believe about her current situation?
a. When Jesus orders the stone removed from Lazarus’ tomb, her first words were not “Oh, goody!”, they were: he stinks! v39
b. v40 According to Jesus, she is not in faith.
4. Jesus raised Lazarus, not because of her faith, but in spite of it.
a. Jesus demonstrated mountain moving faith — you have heard me. v41
b. He was not happy with the “faith” of these people.
c. v33;37 He groaned = to snort with anger; to have indignation