1. In the last lesson, we said this involves a basic Bible principle — when you look back over your life, you can see clearly that God was at work for good. Ps 23:6
2. But, when you look ahead, you can’t see it yet — you only have God’s Word.
a. You have to walk by faith not by sight — that is part of the fight of faith.
b. If you don’t know He is working even when you don’t / can’t see it, you may not have the strength to stand until you see.
3. Joseph knew how to look ahead and see God at work.
a. God made two promises to Joseph: the promised land and greatness.
1. Greatness was fulfilled in his life time, but he didn’t go back to land. 2. Before Joseph died, he told his family: when God takes you back to the land, take my bones with you. Gen 50:22-26; Ex 13:19
b. Heb 11:22 says Joseph did this by faith = agreement with God.
c. Made mention = remembered = he remembered God’s promise to him and his descendants. Gen 28:13; 46:3,4; 48:21
4. Some might say: so what! He went back to the land dead, just bones!!
a. No, Joseph had an eternal perspective; realized this life is not all there is. b. When Joseph died, he went to Abraham’s bosom (paradies). Luke 16:22 c. At the resurrection, Joseph and his body will be reunited, and his body glorified. Where is the first place his feet will touch? The promised land!
1. In fact, it may have already happened — Joseph may have been among the company of OT saints whose bodies were raised when Jesus rose from the dead. Matt 27:52,53
2. Either way, God’s promise to Joseph will be fulfilled, and Joseph was so confident, he realized the time element was an irrelevant detail.
5. Am I saying you won’t see God’s promises fulfilled in this life? No!
a. I’m saying: learn to trust God for the right time of fulfillment in your life. It will make the journey much more pleasant and the fight of faith easier.
b. Timing is involved in God fulfilling His promises — and an eternal God is on a different time table than us.
c. But, He’s got everything under control, and at the right time, you will see His promise fulfilled.