1. Rev 13:1,2–In a vision, John sees a beast rise up out of the sea — what Daniel saw in Dan 7:1-7, the final Gentile kingdom.
a. The word beast is used two ways in the Book of Revelation. It is used for the entire Gentile system in power at the end, and it is used for the ruler of the system, the man. He’ll have no more conscience than a wild beast.
b. The word Antichrist is not used in Revelation. It is not wrong to use the phrase because he will oppose Christ, and John uses it in his epistles.
2. He will be a Gentile (sea = humanity; Isa 57:20; Rev 17:15), and he will have the worst traits of past Gentile systems (leopard, bear, lion).
a. v2–He’ll get his power from satan, the dragon (Rev 12:9).
b. v4–The whole world will worship the dragon who gave him power.
c. v5–He’ll rule as dictator in political and religious affairs for 3 and 1/2 years.
d. v6,7–He’ll blaspheme and make war against the saints.
e. v8;16,17–He’ll introduce a world religion and economy.
3. v3–There is controversy over what healed of a head wound means. Some say it is the beast, the system, which receives a wound and recovers; others say it is the beast, the man.
a. “As it were” suggests there was no literal death.
b. If he is wounded, it would be a wound from which one would be expected to die, but recovers. satan cannot create life.
4. Rev 13:11–John begins to describe a second beast, the false prophet. Rev 19:20
a. He’ll be a physical descendant of Abraham (earth = Palestine, land given to Jews in prophetic scriptures; Gen 49:17).
b. He’ll appear as a lamb (good), but his voice (dragon) will give him away. His power will come from satan.
c. v12,13–He’ll lead the world to worship the Antichrist. He’ll draw people to the Antichrist by doing miracles.
d. v14,15–He will make an image, statue, of the beast which will seem to come to life, and he will make it the center of a world wide religion.
1. Worship will occur in the temple. II Thess 2:4; Matt 24:15; Dan 9:27
2. The false prophet will have life and death power over those who refuse to worship the beast.
5. satan is an imitator and much of what he does during the tribulation will be imitations of the Lord and His kingdom.
a. I Kings 18–Elijah the prophet was authenticated to Israel by the miracles he did. In Mal 4:5,6 the last thing God said to Israel before 400 years of silence was that Elijah would come before Christ does.
b. The false prophet will convince people that the Antichrist is the Messiah. That is the lie people will believe. II Thess 2:10,11; Matt 24:24
6. v16-18–All will be required to receive a mark as a symbol of worship of the beast. Two key points about the mark of the beast:
a. You can’t be tricked into taking the mark of the beast. It is a willful act of submission and worship to him as God. Rev 14:9-11; 19:20
b. What is 666? If we needed to know, God would have told us. It will be a mark of submission to the Antichrist’s authority and deity. You take his mark, his name, his number.